In October, 1998, a memorial project in Vienna involved creating a life-size replica facade of the synagogue in the 8th Bezirk, on Neudeggergasse, that was destroyed in 1938. The replica was affixed for several weeks to the modern apartment house that occupies the site of the synagogue. Former residents were invited to a "homecoming" and a two-day program of events. The vinyl replica is 35 feet wide and 105 feet high, and was installed in two equal halves, one on each side of the apartment house. Between the halves were long tapes imprinted with names of the former synagogue members.
The director of
the project is anxious for this facade to be used again, perhaps in the United
States. For further information contact
International Survey of Jewish Monuments
c/o Jewish Heritage Research Center
Box 210, 118 Julian Pl.
Syracuse, New York 13210-3419, USA
tel: (315) 474-2350
fax: (315) 474-2347