Back to "Search by Style" Page Back to "Search by Current Use" Page Back to "Search by Architect" Page
Back to "Search by Landmark Status" Page Back to "Search by Date of Construction" Page Back to "Browse Entire Database" Page

CityNew YorkStateNY

Historical NameCongregation K'hal Adath Jershurun

Year Built1887
Building TypeSynagogue

Address12-16 Eldridge Street

Current NameEldridge Street Synagogue

Name of Builder 1Herter BrothersCompany

Name of Builder 2

Name of Builder 3

ListingNRHP, 3/28/80

New York City Landmark, 7/8/80

DescriptionLocated on a side street of low buildings, the synagogue as an imposing presence. The exterior

facade mixes Moorish, Gothic, and Romanesque elements with stained glass windows. The

synagogue's most remarkable feature is its immense sanctuary.

StyleMoorish

Bibliography

SignificanceThis was the first major synagogue established on the Lower East Side by the Orthodox Eastern

European Ashkenazi Jews. Closed in the 1930's and reopened in the 1970's when the

congregation formed a preservation committee and established plans for the restoration of its

sanctuary.

Page 18 of 48

Next

Previous

Back to list in New York